Monday, April 6, 2015

DIY Dreamcatcher Tutorial: Easy Steps



Late last Febuary I decided to make a DIY Dreamcatcher since I am working on doing some crafts and arts as a new year's resolution. At first I had difficulty finding the materials needed since I don't have any background on dreamcatchers. What I did is that I search from the internet on how to make a dreamcatcher. I read from different blogs and watched from YouTube different styles and technique on how to make this craft.


To start with... let me first introduce what is a dreamcatcher.


Native Americans believe that the night air is filled with dreams both good and bad. The dreamcatcher when hung over or near your bed swinging freely in the air, catches the dreams as they flow by. The good dreams know how to pass through the dreamcatcher, slipping through the outer holes and slide down the soft feathers so gently that many times the sleeper does not know that he/she is dreaming. The bad dreams not knowing the way get tangled in the dreamcatcher and perish with the first light of the new day.


The Tutorial

Step 1: Gather the materials.




Metal or wooden hoop. Anything circle will do.

Feathers.
Beads.
Thin cord, string, or thread.
Thicker cord or thread.
Scissors, needle and glue.

Step 2: Wrap the hoop using the thicker cord or thread. Secure the end of the cord as you end covering the hoop.




Step 3. Create the web using the thin cord/string/thread. You can place some beads as you create the web.

















Step 4: Hang some feathers on the buttom of the dreamcatcher. Beads and colored feather may vary depending on the dreamcatcher's design and color.






Step 5. Cut all excess threads.



Step 6: DONE! Our DIY Dreamcatcher is ready to be hang up near our bed and screen our bad dreams.


~ Kay-een 

2 comments:

  1. I love dreamcatchers! This is helpful, Kat. Thanks for sharing! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pau. I'm hoping I could learn more DIY staffs and make more DIY tutorials hehehe <3

    ReplyDelete